Monday, December 20, 2010

Nobody Cares About Your Analysis

          Posh

You
With your fancy pants manners
And your too-polite hips
Would never sit with me
To watch the eclipse.

You
Would be daintily bobbing
Your head in a nod
To someone related
Very closely to God.


    Corporate Inspiration

The bottom line is,
At the end of the day,
Myself will go forward
In a proactive way.

   
    For short poems, it seems the rhyming variety works better. I don't know precisely why this is and it's all a matter of personal preference, but I've never been enamored of William Carlos Williams, who composed short, non-rhyming pieces about wheelbarrows, white chickens and plums. They seemed more like sentences to me. On the other hand, the short rhymes of Langston Hughes can be quite scintillating. It's not that I dislike poetry that doesn't rhyme; some authors do it very effectively and I have dabbled in it myself with varying success. But the shorter the work, the more prose-like it seems if there's no rhyme. Below is one of the few brief, non-rhyming pieces I've ever penned.

    Unfinished Poem

Sometimes I don't complete my poems,
Leaving them slipshod,
Like a little boy's bed.
I am not proud of this
But

    A reader need only examine T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men" to determine how powerful non-rhyming poetry can be, but that poem is of middling length and was also conceived by a legend.

    Difficult to Interpret Statement of the Day: I'd be lying if I said I was telling the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment