Monday, January 3, 2011

Selling It!

              All She Wrote

    She soaked the first letter in perfume.
    Three years later, the fragrance lingers.
    For dear life, I hang on. 
    The paper still lies in my dusty old room,
    Hiding in a shoebox or tucked in a drawer
    For now she is long, long gone.

    I interviewed for a high level sales position once, but I wasn't really qualified for the position. At the end of the meeting, the Human Resources officer gave me a few minutes to make my case, so I said:

    "Football. Golf. Is that your family? Nice tie, buddy. Golf. At the end of the day, it is what it is. Golf. Football. Want to go to the sports bar and get some wings? Golf. Nice day, isn't it? I'll buy you a beer. Golf and football. Football and golf. Sports! Let's close the deal. Golf. How about those (insert local sports team)?"

    The HR officer looked very impressed but, ultimately, did not give me the job. When I asked why, he peered at me thoughtfully and said, "You were one 'golf' short."   

No comments:

Post a Comment