Monday, January 31, 2011

First Month Done

January's essentially over and it sucked as usual. I spent Christmas in South Africa once and it was warm and sunny. There was something unquestionably jarring about that, but I didn't complain, nor would I if I experienced it a second time. I opened presents outdoors under a kumquat tree. How do you like that?

We hate January not only because it's cold, but because the holidays are over and we usually find ourselves lacking in funds (because of the holidays). Not everyone in the Northern Hemisphere experiences this. Some people might have tons of cash because they're stingy, or have no friends, or don't observe any of the traditional gift-giving occasions at the close of the calendar year. I pity these people. And envy them. Others  might just like winter and don't mind January. And some are in climates warm enough that the cold and darkness of the month don't affect them much. I mostly envy these people.

No poem today, just read the lyrics to Little Feat's 1972 song "Cold, Cold, Cold" to capture the essence of things right now. That's a very underrated song, by the way. Also, stay out of Egypt. The Pharaoh is about to let his people go, though not by choice. Let's hope the situation ends reasonably well.

No comments:

Post a Comment